"Here’s a chance for a little interactivity for all the bloggers out there. Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.
Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results."
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
2. Nettle tea Okay so I am cheating a little here, I have had nettles as an edible green but I'm not certain I've had them as tea. I'm counting it anyway.
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare This one I'm not positive. I know I've had carpaccio, which is obviously very similar, but I don't know for certain if I've had actual steak tartare -- I would like to.
5. Crocodile Okay okay, so I haven't had croc. But I have had alligator, and I think that should count.
6. Black pudding I tried a little in Ireland. I think it kind of reminded me of eating scabs. I would maybe like to give this one another chance, as an adult.
7. Cheese fondue But of course! A popular dish when my mom is cooking.
10. Baba ghanoush
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart Oh yesssssssssssss
17. Black truffle Again I am cheating -- I'm only sort of sure I've had something flavored with black truffle. However, I have had a great quantity of Oregon White Truffles, and Oh God, the tasty.
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes Of course! I've made blackberry wine and Arbutus wine.
19. Steamed pork buns alugalahgalugalgualghagl... (that's the drool noise)
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese -- I would only eat this if I made it myself from a pig I raised myself and knew did not POSSIBLE have any kind of spongiform encephalopathy. Things with brains freak me the hell out.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut And I've made it, too!
35. Root beer float
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk Once, when I was very little. I didn't like it.
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine -- No but I want it SO. BAD.
60. Carob chips
62. Sweetbreads -- This one is high on my "to be eaten" list.
64. Currywurst -- Another food I long to try but never seem to get around to.
65. Durian Don't believe the lies, this shit is delicious. It's like custard.
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis -- I'm sourcing ingredients to make my own! The problem is, there are complex laws on selling sheep organs. As usual, the goddamn government is keeping me down.
69. Fried plantain
72. Caviar and blini I think my mom made this once.
73. Louche absinthe --- Ooooooh, want!
74. Gjetost, or brunost This is another one that I think I've had but I'm not certain.
77. Hostess Fruit Pie -- Packaged foods scare me. I have also never eaten a Twinkie, and I intend to keep it that way.
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky I'm sure I've tried it but I don't remember it making an impression.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef -- Not that I am aware of, but good Gods, what I would give to eat this.
86. Hare Actually, wait, no, I've had farmed rabbit but not wild hare. Does it still count?
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa -- Sounds tasty!
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor -- Oooooooo, want!
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee -- I'm not much of a coffee freak.
For those keeping track at home, that's 65 out of 100, which I think is pretty damn good considering.