Thursday, April 07, 2011

The most delicious thing... EVER.

I really, really, REALLY like to make pie. My identity is so completely wrapped up in pie that I named my medieval alter-ego after pie (see my other "blogge" for more on my medieval alter ego). I do not want to give up making pie, and I don't plan to, so as previously promised I have continued my quest to make bacon-pies. Tonight's experiment with the medium was extraordinarily successful:

Sagey Apple-Onion Pie with Bacon Lattice Top

The recipe was dead simple, and the result was unbelievably delicious:

Core and chop 3 apples (I chopped them into approximately 3/4" cubes) and put into a 9" square baking dish. Helpful hint: apple dishes are tastiest with a mix of apple varieties. I had a few to use up from the produce box, so I used a granny smith, a braeburn, and... something yellow with no tag. Chop an onion coarsely and a few sage leaves finely and add to the apples. Mix with hands. Cut 8 strips of bacon in half lengthwise, and weave into a lattice on top of the filling. (Weaving a lattice top is not as hard as it seems -- start in the middle and work out.) Bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes, until bacon reaches desired crispness.

This would be more fitting in the fall; it would make a great stuffing alternative, I think.

1 comment:

Kristin J said...

Bacon....PIE??? omg brilliant, and now i'm drowning in my own drool. this sound phenomenal. Would you be willing to share your recipe on another website? I co-run www.fastpaleo.com with my friend James, and I'd be willing to bet that people would LOVE this. We'd also love for you to link back to your own blog if you do choose to upload a recipe on our site, so people know where to come for more! You can also check us out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/fastpaleo
Sorry if this came across as spammy, but I genuinely love this recipe and would like to share it! You can email me at kristin@fastpaleo.com if you have any questions. Thanks for the recipes :)