Sunday, November 27, 2005

Also, what I bought today

We had a trip to Costco today, where I bought: 1 Rotisserie chicken, 2 loaves of "artisan" bread, a box of clementines, and some apple cider. Looks like I am back into my old eating habits, basically eating what Amber calls "peasant food" and what I call "food that I don't have to cook to enjoy."

The other night, I came home and was trying to come up with something for dinner. I had, in my mind, "no food at all." I ended up making a simple (inauthentic) vegetable biryani:

~1 T butter
Whole coriander, cumin, and cardamom seeds
1/2 white onion
Garam masala (optional)
Curry powder (to taste)
2 small carrots
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup (uncooked) rice
handful of roasted pecan bits
Pinch of saffron (optional)

Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add the whole spices and cook until they start to pop. Add the onion, and the powdered spices. Cook until the onion is translucent, and add the remaining ingredients. Cook until the rice changes color a little. Add 1 cup of water. Bring everything to a boil, turn the heat down to low, put the lid on, and cook for about 20 minutes.

No comments: