Monday, November 28, 2005

Something to try this summer

I was reading The Witches' Goddess by Janet and Stewart Farrar (again), and came across a recipe for Aphrodite cakes. They are very simple, and I cannot wait for peach season. All you need is some short crust pastry (pie dough), and some peaches, cut in half, stones removed. Put a circle (a little bigger than the diameter of your peach) of the pastry down on your baking sheet. Put one half of a peach on top of this (flat side down), the cover this with a dome of pastry. Seal the edges, and poke a hole in the top with a matchstick. Bake them until golden brown. "Juice rising from the fruit will create a little dark patch around the hole. ... The symbolism of these delicious cakes ... is as clear and unapologetic as Aphrodite herself. And why not?"

I think I'm going to modify these as follows: I'd peel the peaches first, add sugar to the pastry crust, sprinkle the base piece of pastry and the peach (after putting it down) with sugar and powdered ginger, and make the hole with a chopstick instead of a matchstick. Also, I would add that you should probably bake them at 350°F, and I would guess that they would take about 20 minutes.

You can also do them with nectarines.

No comments: