Monday, December 19, 2005

Oven Kebabs!

Marinade:

1.5 cups red wine
2T port
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T salt
1 T honey
2 bay leaves
Juniper berries, grains of paradise, mustard seed, powdered ginger (to taste)

2 T olive oil

Put everything but the olive oil in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes. Cool completely, add the oil, and pour over about a pound of meat (I used steak, I think lamb would be great too) that's been cut into strips or chunks. Add half of an onion, chopped into large pieces. Marinate overnight (I marinate in ziplock bags with all of the air pressed out).

The next day, soak bamboo skewers in water for 15 minutes, then load with meat and onions. Turn on your broiler, with an oven rack about 7-8 inches below it (depends on how tall your pan is). Arrange kebabs on a rack in a roasting pan (or if you lack that, I arranged my kebabs points down in a circular casserole dish, so that they weren't resting flat on the bottom). Cook for about five minutes on a side (take the whole pan out and flip them, I wish I had tongs for this part), or more or less depending on how thinly your meat is sliced, how hot your broiler is, and how done you want them.

Serve over couscous.

I reserved the marinade and leftover onions (actually I used carrots too, not realizing what a dismal failure they'd be), boiled for long enough to kill nasty bits, and am going to use it to punch up some pea soup.

No comments: